Sunday, November 14, 2010

Cellphone Cuddling

As I perused the New York Times this morning, I stumbled upon an article that I found incredibly relevant. The article was called "Should You Be Snuggling With Your Cellphone?" written by Randall Stross. Much too often I fall asleep with my phone in my hands or right next to me. The article goes on to explain that cellphone radiation can be harmful to one's health and brain. BlackBerries should be held an inch away from your head when you are using it. IPhones should be held 5/8 of an inch away from your head. The radiation can damage cells that lead to cancer, so sleeping with your phone on your stomach or next to your head is not the best idea. 

Texting has become a phenomenon, and I will easily admit that I enjoy texting. While sometimes it can be a pain, it's the easiest way to get a hold of someone quickly without having to make a big deal about it. I usually don't like talking on the phone because it leads to awkward silences and trying to fill the silence with conversations about the weather or "so yeah." With a text you can say what you want and then be done with it. With this radiation information surfacing, texting may become even more popular than it already is. With all the time spent talking on cellphones (on average 737 minutes per month!), serious damage can be done, slowly but surely. 

If you have to make a call, use wireless or a head-set, don't press your cell phone against your ear, and don't fall asleep with it! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails