Thursday, November 11, 2010

Happy Veterans Day!


Artist: Jasper Johns

Photographer: Susan Strom


Happy Veterans Day! I dedicate this post to my Grandpa, who fought in World War II and the Korean War. I grew up knowing that my Grandpa had gone through war, but he never told stories about his experiences. My Grandpa, along with other veterans and men and women currently defending our country, are true heroes. When I was younger my family would drive to my grandparents' farm, where there would be a parade in the town nearby honoring those who have served in the military. I stood on the sidewalk with my cousins, aunts, uncles, parents, and friends while my Grandpa rode on a decorated float in his hat and medals pinned to his shirt. We would wave small American flags, eat candy and hamburgers, and cheer. One year my sister and I even got to ride one of the floats. It's so much fun being patriotic and incredibly important to honor those who have fought for our freedom. Take some time, or even just a minute, honoring those who are fighting for our country now or for a grandparent, family member, or friend who has served in previous wars.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails