Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Comfortable Isolation


[Photo Credit - mi9.com]
I've reached a point in my night where I have focused so hard all day that I can't even focus on my book or a television show. Frankly, I'm not even feeling tired. A few lines I just read in Katie Couric's new book perfectly summed up what I am feeling: "Listen once in a while. It's amazing what you can hear. On a hot summer day in the country, you can hear the corn growing, the crack of a tin roof buckling under the power of the sun." - Russell Baker

This description is exactly what I would love to be doing right now. Watching the sun go down over a sea of corn, basking in the leftover heat from the day, closing my eyes, just listening to the sounds around me. Because that way, even though I am not running around or jumping and singing, I would still feel alive. Alive in that way when you feel very connected to nature and the world around you.

Another way to describe this feeling could be expressed through The Notebook. This scene in particular:

[Photo Credit - entertainment.ezinemark.com]

In this scene, the moon and streelights are the only sources of light. It is that time of night on an empty street when it only feels like you are the only breathing being. Also, there is a hint of romance and first love, not only in this movie, but in this stillshot itself. Most importantly, Billie Holiday's I'll Be Seeing You plays in the background. I am comfortably independent, and this type of isolation is something I absolutely wouldn't mind. Bring on the corn, sunset, and slow dancing under the moon.

[Photo Credit - flickr.com]
[Photo Credit - smithcountylakehouse.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails